German Academy for Aeronautical Research Membership Stick-Pin in Gold
Heavy gilt bronze metal badge consisting of a naturalistic flying eagle, looking right, clasping a swastika. On the reverse of the eagle is the number 23 on the wing and on the reverse above the swastika a manufacturer’s mark of LN with date of 1790, the year the manufacturer was instituted. The manufacturer mark is for L Christian Lauer, Nuremberg.
The eagle is die cut and hand finished. Excellent detail and beautifully made. Eagles wings measure 28.5mm across. Nickle stickpin is welded directly to the badge behind the head of the eagle. Knurled stickpin with retainer is exactly as should be and of original issue. Frosted observe with a mirror-finish reverse is also exactly as research shows to be correct.
Truly a very impressive piece of history.
The Academy for Aeronautical Research had a total of 218 members during its existence and all were awarded badges consecutively numbered. Each member received a full size and miniature stickpin badge bearing the same number. These were first introduced at the beginning of January 1938 and were confirmed by an order outlining their design, dated 21 January 1938. It also defined the three classes of membership and the color of the award. Honorary, ordinary and associate members received the badge in gold, supporting members in silver and corresponding members in bronze. The large badge was, according to dress regulations, to be worn on the left lapel of the formal breast coat. The miniature could be worn at any social gathering which was in accordance with, ‘the dignity of the academy’. Members included president Hermann Göring (1937-1945), the vice-president Erhard Milch, (1937-1945), as well as Willi Messerschmitt (1939-1944), Kurt Tank (1944-1945) and the chancellor Adolf Baeumker (1937-1945).
Availability: 1 in stock